Monday, February 7, 2011

I Love You . Period .


"You really shouldn't say 'I love you' unless you mean it. But if you mean it, you should say it a lot. People forget." -Jessica, age 8.

Tonight I am in Valdosta, GA. I am currently cuddled up in a big white bed at the Marriott in the middle of a commercial break for The Bachelor. To fill my 3 minutes of waiting I call Jeff (my boyfriend of 5 years) to see what his plans for the night are.

As the commercials come to an end I inform him that I will call him in an hour...after Brad gives away is roses for the week. And as usual, we end with an 'I love you.'

So it had me thinking...Do we, people in relationships, use 'I love you' as a period to the end of a conversation? Well, I am here to say ney!...(at least on my behalf) 

Now, you should know...a lot of my relationship with Jeff has had to operate over the phone. With my family in Tennessee and his in Louisiana we have spent winters and summers apart and now a year apart while I travel for Phi Mu and he finishes up school and prepares for a career. I say all this to say, I have heard and said a lot of 'I love you's' via phone calls.

Now keep in mind, many times I believe it's possible to forget the meaning of the words because it is so routine but it is also comforting and assuring and sure I hope it never stops.

Now, I don't want to get all mushy on you guys I sure do love that boy, and I can honestly say I get a geeky smile every time we are saying our goodbyes. So in the words of John Mayer...Say what you need to say...And mean it every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment